For 110 years, The Royal Restaurant has been the most popular eatery in Old Town, Alexandria. Originally located next to City Hall at 109 North Royal Street, the family-owned Royal Cafe became Alexandria’s premier lunch time eatery for the then bustling downtown shopping district during the 1940’s, ’50’s, and ’60’s. Everyone in Old Town ate at The Royal Cafe. Although a family restaurant, The Royal Cafe was regularly visted by police officers, secretaries and other downtown workers.
For many years The Royal Restaurant was the place where many of the city’s most important political decisions were made as local policiticans, attorneys, businessmen and downtown citizens discussed the hot topics of the day over hearty southern-style dinners and rice pudding desserts. Sadly, the building on North Royal Street was torn down in 1964 to make room for the city’s urban renewal projects on that block.
Undaunted by the uncompensated taking of their prime location, the owners Richard Kyriacos and his nephew Charles Euripides, moved “The Royal” to its present location in 1965. With very hard work and determination the new Royal Restaurant has again become a success. Today, Euripides and family proudly continue the tradition of fine homestyle cooking, authentic Greek and Italian fare, and friendly hospitable service.